Counselling services are provided to assist students in adjusting satisfactorily to college life. Counselors at KCM assist students with personal issues, academic, career and other issues which may affect their academic performance and/or personal well-being. Visits to the counselors are confidential and voluntary. Issues of students are dealt as promptly as possible.
We help students to help themselves to change their attitudes and to get a deeper knowledge of self and self awareness. We have been providing academic, personal and career counselling to our present and past student who would like to proceed with their education or start their career.
The primary purpose of academic counselling is to assist students in the development of educational plans which are realistic and compatible with their life goals. It is provided to students who are experiencing difficulties with their studies. It will assist students to identify their areas of difficulty and develop strategies to improve their performance. Students at KCM are encouraged to seek academic advice throughout their bachelors program.
Aims of academic counselling:
- Assistance with program planning, registration and course selection
- Academic assistance: writing, organization, learning strategies
- Liaison with faculty ensuring all necessary support
- Liaison with sponsorship organizations
- Sponsorship guidance and referral
It is our philosophy that difficulties or upheavals in any area will have an impact upon study performance, hence no problem is seen as too small or irrelevant. Personal counselling at KCM has been a major concern to help students solve their own emotional, personal or interpersonal problems to overcome barriers to success. A counselor will help by listening without judgement, offering new perspectives, and working on strategies that are right for individuals.
Aims of personal counselling:
- Help to overcome barriers to your progress
- Talk about problems ranging from everyday hassles to those that are seriously affecting your ability to function
- Have somebody to listen
- Get rid of stress, anxiety and problems to cope with changes during the academic period
An important goal of career counseling at KCM is to help students make realistic career decisions. We assist in developing career plans that help students in understanding themselves more fully and exploring a variety of career options with choices, changes, and obstacles. Students of KCM have the opportunity to discuss their aspirations and concerns about their career prospects.
Aims of career counselling:
- Heightened awareness and understanding of own strengths, personal qualities and goals in connection to career options
- Improved job seeking skills
- Resume writing
- Interview skills
- Career decision making